|Absinthe Pernod Fils "Garanti Fabriqué en 1913"
This is the classic "benchmark" Pernod Fils with the labels overprinted "Fabriqué en 1913"
(made in 1913). This is a very rare bottling - these bottles were the very last stock produced
by Pernod before the ban in 1914. They were sent to Holland for safekeeping and a small
quantity were released 25 years later for export in 1938 with this special overprinted label.
The balance of the stocks was unfortunately destroyed by bombing during the war. Photos
show the bottle still covered in the original cellar dust!
|Port, Magnificent Wines & Dessert Wines
... & Fabled Vintages
|Some previously sold bottles of vintage port & other wines:
|To receive our acclaimed email newsletter, please click here. A Sign Up form will open in a new page, allowing you to
enter your name and email address. It's free and you can unsubscribe at any time.
|Port Quinta do Noval 1931 - SOLD
The nec plus ultra of vintage port. Described by Michael Broadbent as "the Everest" of
vintage ports. Sandeman bottling, original green wax seal. Level top shoulder. A
superbly preserved bottle.
|Port Burmester Reserva Novidade 1890 - SOLD
A very rare 1890 late-bottled vintage tawny port of superb quality from the famous
house of Burmester. With origins dating back to the 1730's, and a continuing shipping
history of well over two centuries, Burmester is one of the greatest names in port.
The great French authority, Francois Audouze, rated the 1890 Burmester AHEAD of a
1906 Chateau d'Yquem.This is an extremely unusual find - normally one might expect
to find one or two bottles of this vintage every couple of years, to find it in quantity -
we have bought nearly a dozen cases, all in mint condition - is quite unprecedented.
|Port Da Silvas Quinta do Noval Nacional 1950 - SOLD
Produced from pre-phylloxera grapes. Bottled at Oporto in 1952 by Antonio J.E Da
Silva & Ca. LDA, established 1813. Shipped by Rutherford, Osborne and Perkin Ltd.
|Port Quinta do Noval Nacional 1963 - SOLD
Produced in the Douro demarcated region from pre-phylloxera vines. 75cl. 21% alc.
Manufacturing flaw in the glass at base of neck not effecting the integrity of the
bottle at all.
|Vega Sicilia Unico 1942 - SOLD
The vineyards and winery are situated in the broad, somewhat arid,
upland valley of the Duero in northern Spain. The river itself flows west,
its name changing to the more familiar Douro as it crosses the border
First produced in the the 1860’s, Vega Sicilia Unico gained an
astonishing reputation, despite distribution being largely confined to a
wealthy private clientele and the top restaurants of Madrid. It is, or until
recently was extremely idiosyncratic - a novel combination of red
Bordeaux grape varieties, exceptionally long aging in wooden vats and
unusually high volatile acidity - once tasted, never forgotten.
|Grand Constance 1821 - SOLD
Produced from Muscat grapes; the vineyards of "Groot Constantia" being
established by Simon van der Stel, governor of the Cape of Wynberg. In 1805 the
English took possession of the Cape, and because of the Napoleonic Wars,
promoted the export of South African wines to Great Britain. By 1826, trade with
Britain was flourishing and wine growers and merchants invested considerable
capital in the industry. This British influence is borne out by the anglicized version
of the vineyard name seen on this label. The wine is mentioned in the works of
Jane Austen, and was also reportedly the favorite wine of Napoleon during his exile
in St Helena.
A similar bottle (dated circa 1750) tasted in 1987 by Michael Broadbent was noted
as being "distinctly spicy, gingery, rich, tangy....very high acidity, almost burning
We are urgently looking to purchase further examples of this wine. If you have
a bottle for sale, please contact us.
|A selection of 19th
Red Port 1893,
Livadia Red Port
1892, Livadia White
Muscat 1891 and
Tokay Daniel 1892 -
Note the distinctive
bottle used for
several of the wines.
|The Massandra Collection
The great dessert wines of Russia - Tsar Nicholas II's private vineyard in the Crimea
The fortified and dessert wines of Massandra are legendary, with a distinctive, full flavour that sets them
apart from European and New World wines of similar ilk. More than that, the wines of Massandra occupy
an important place at the heart of Russia's Imperial and cultural history. The winery was built in the late
19th century in order to supply wines for the Tsar's Summer Palace, called "Livadia", near Yalta. Over the
next few decades, Massandra produced wines to cater for the Tsar's every conceivable need, from wines
for Church Communion to those for the Court, for social functions and for the Tsar's own personal
pleasure. The winery has continued to produce first-class wines ever since and this, combined with the
extraordinary architectural merit of its cellars and other buildings, has earned it a position as one of
Russia's most revered officially-designated sites of national importance. Produced from vines that stretch
almost the entire length of the South Coast of the Crimea, Massandra wines embrace a huge range of
sweet wine styles, from Sherry to Madeira, from Port to Marsala, as well Tokays and Muscats. The
tradition of wine-making in the Crimea goes back to the early 19th century - the result of one
extraordinarily rich man's passion for wine. Reputedly richer than the Tsars themselves, Mikhail Vorontsov
spared no expense in his quest to satisfy his insatiable thirst for good wine. To this end, he imported and
planted innumerable types of vine from Western Europe and from these he managed to produce a number
of successful wines.
In 1894, encouraged by Voronstov's success in the region, Tsar Nicholas II decided to build his own winery
there. It was an enormous undertaking. Work on the cellars took three years as miners dug deep into the
mountainside to create a labyrinth of 21 tunnels (each over 150 metres long) that to this day rank among
the finest cellars in the world. An ingenious feat of engineering (a series of carefully positioned air shafts
ensures the temperature remains constantly cool, and fresh spring water creates a natural humidity of
90-95%), the cellars are also exceptionally solid and strong - when violent earthquakes caused widespread
damage in the region in 1920, the cellars of Massandra were completely unscathed.
In order to ensure that his wines were the best, the Tsar employed Prince Lev Sergervich Golitzin to
oversee production at the winery. An extremely accomplished winemaker, Golitzin devoted himself to
developing the wines that suited the region best, and it is these same wines that define Massandra's
output today. Golitzin also had an extraordinary talent for blending wines, and his "creations" are
legendary. His note-keeping, however, was not so consistent, and he took the recipe for many of his
greatest blends with him to the grave. To this day, no one really knows how he made his legendary "Honey
of Altae Pastures" and "Seventh Heaven" wines.
When, in 1920, Stalin's troops stormed the gates of Massandra, the future of the winery hung in the
balance. But so impressed was Stalin with the wines he sampled, he decided to preserve both the winery
and its historic "Collection". Under the directorship of Alexander Alexandovich, production continued and
Massandra maintained its impeccable reputation for exceptional wines. The same traditions continue to
Begun by Prince Golitzin in the late 19th century, the Massandra Collection comprises examples of every
Massandra vintage, as well as European wines from the personal collection of Golitzin himself. While the
primary purpose of the collection was - and still is - for research purposes (i.e. to allow for study of the
ageing process.), in more recent times the collection has taken on a commercial function in that it is used
as a "deposit" in order to ensure that commercial quantities of mature wines are available for sale. To
this end, some 10,000 bottles are added to the collection each year. The Collection has had a remarkable
history. In the years immediately following the Russian Revolution, the Crimea was plunged into political
turmoil as White Russians (aided and abetted by German invaders and Anglo-French interventionists)
struggled to maintain control of the area. In the midst of this, the Massandra Collection could easily have
been looted, but the entrances to the tunnels in which it was stored were bricked up so skillfully that it
was never discovered. When the Red Army finally took control of the area in late 1920, they discovered
the collection but, rather than raid it, they added to it wines from the Tsar's palaces at Moscow, St.
Petersburg and Livadia. In the following years, wine-making at Massandra continued and the collection
was further augmented. In 1941, however, the charmed, tranquil life of the collection was brutally
disrupted by the imminent threat of Nazi invasion. In an attempt to avoid Nazi appropriation, the entire
collection was packed up and taken out of Yalta to three secret locations. It was a monumental
undertaking: each bottle of wine was marked with an evacuation number and carefully crated before being
transported to a safe place. The only casualty in all of this was the 1941 vintage which could not be
crated out because it was still in vats at the time. Rather than surrender it to the Nazis, Aleksander
Yegorov, the director of the winery, ordered that it be poured into the sea, and for the first (and possibly
last) time ever, the Black Sea turned red. The collection remained hidden until 1944, when it was returned
to its original resting place.
|We take credit cards, debit cards and bank
transfers. We can also take payments over phone,
email or fax thanks to our virtual terminal secured
and managed by PayPal. See all details after
validating your shopping cart.
|All rights reserved - RUEVERTE 2002-2018
|Taylor's Single Harvest Port 1863 - SOLD